Tuesday, April 22, 2008

part one of concert review

Stephanie Otte
Concert review #1
Memphis brass quintet
832 words

Wine, Women, and Song
The Memphis brass quintet presented wine, women, and song on Monday night. This was my first brass concert I have attended, and I truly did enjoy it. The brass quintet included trumpets, a horn, tuba, trombone, and some percussion. Although I was a little late and I missed the first piece titled dance. The rest of the concert was amazing.
The second piece was “Frostfire” and contained three movements by Eric Ewazen. This was considered to be their wine portion of the concert and the movements were extremely long. The first movement titled bright and fast was just that, and seemed to change rapidly and was very cheerful. Gentle and mysterious, which was the second movement seemed extremely peaceful and really calmed my nerves down. The third movement titled tense and dramatic seemed to remind me of background music to a horror film or any situation in order to build suspense. It was extremely choppy and very low tones for the ultra dramatic effect. The woman section of the concert began in the third piece and was actually composed by a woman Gwyneth Walker, titled raise the roof. This piece especially caught my eye because the musicians not only used the brass instruments to create the music but also their hands and feet to create the background rhythm along with their instruments. Using their hands and feet it created a new kind of musical experience that

No comments: