Tuesday, April 22, 2008

creativity

Creativity can be described in many ways but I would have to say that to me creativity is the way a person views an object in a different way than most. Creative people tend to see something ordinary, much more than that, and can easily elaborate on what is already there. Some seem to think that intelligence and creativity go hand in hand, but this is not necessarily true. Creative people tend to be divergent thinkers, which may produce many answers to the same question (1). Where as intelligence tests are often based upon convergent thinking, which means the individual generally produces only one correct answer (1). Just because you can get a million answers to the same math equation doesn't make you a genius, although it does make you a creative thinker. The creative process has been broken down into five non sequential parts. The parts of the creative process are labeled in numerical order although many times do not occur in any specific order or for any specific time. The first of these steps is preparation. In this step you become engaged in a problem that interests you and that raises your creativity. The next step, is incubation, this is when you constantly think about the issue and normally make unusual connections in your head. Third is insight, at this stage you have the light bulb moment and all the pieces seem to fit just right. The fourth step is evaluation, in this step you determine whether or not the light bulb idea was worth putting into action or if it was to far fetched. The last of the steps in creativity is called elaboration and this is when you pit the plan into action. This is generally the longest part of the creative process, taking some even years to accomplish. (1)An example of creative thinking could be a fashion designer. They all have to constantly come up with new ideas for clothing items for every season. If I were to be designing clothes I would have to think about what season I would be designing for, what colors and patters I would like to use, and then go for the individual items to design. I would think about using items to create many different outfits and looks using as few items as possible. Then when the idea would come to me I would have that light bulb moment, at this point I would decide if the idea is worth creating or not, and if people would like to wear it. There are steps people can take in order to increase their creativity, three of which include listening to Bach, classical music can really stir up the creativity in you mind (2). Also I would try brainstorming, this can really open your mind up to new ideas, thus making you more creative (3). Third I would go somewhere I have never been to before and try to expand my knowledge of the world around me, by doing so I would be surprising others around me (1). Works Cited:1) Textbook2) http://www.jpb.com/creative/creative.php3) http://www.increasebrainpower.com/definitioncreativity.html

No comments: