Tuesday, April 22, 2008

motivation

My top reasons for going to college, although sound quite low and very extrinsic, they have remained my motivation for years. I decided to go to college in order to make something of myself (3). I don't want to look back on my life and wonder what I could have done. I also knew that if I wanted to live a comfortable life for myself I needed a good education. Along with all of that I knew if I didn't go to college that my parents would kill me. To them college is not a choice, it is what you do after high school and I couldn't stand that disappointment. (1) In ten to fifteen years from now I will be done with all of my education and I fully intend to be a graduate of medical school with a specialty in children's cardiology. I will be a doctor working either in a hospital or in my own office, making a six digit salary. All of this will come to me for my hard work of long hours studying and going to school for such a long time. I might be married, maybe have a kid, or one on the way but all of that will defiantly come after my career. If I did decide not to go to college, and didn't graduate, then in ten to fifteen years I would probably be working some dead end job, like waiting tables, pregnant, and married to someone with a horrible job. To me that's what I think of as a life of an uneducated person. Now I know that seems to be a bit stereotypical, but I can't help how I feel. I am extremely motivated to succeed in college, although this semester has been one crazy roller coaster, and I haven ever been this slacking in my life, I have still managed to keep most of my grades up. I am so motivated to go to medical school that anything that comes in my way as a distraction will no longer be in my life. As long as my grades are good and my MCAT scores are great I know I can achieve my goals in life. I have my parents to thank form y motivation. I couldn't stand the thought of failing a class or failing them. They have done everything for me and my education and getting a good career is a way of thanking them for all that they have done for me. I am extremely extrinsically motivated and would do anything to make the grade, and make my parents proud. Although I do tend to have some intrinsic motivation, I am curious of the human body, and the way it functions all together really excites me (2). Another thing is I can not turn down a challenge and to me that's all college is one big challenge after the next. Each test, each class, everything is a challenge. One thing I did do that was completely one hundred percent intrinsic motivation was dance. I use to dance in studios, on the school dance team, competitions, everywhere you name it I did it when it came to dance. It was never something I could do easily, and to me that challenge got me stirred up, along with the fact that there was always a new skill you could learn it excited me. (1)I know my culture had a lot to do with my motivation for college, and for life. My parents were a large part of my motivation, which are also part of my culture. Along with them, our society today in America has bestowed to every student that without a college degree they can do nothing notable with their lives. To me I want to put my footprint in people's lives and make a difference and in our society today you can not do that without a college degree. (3) Works cited:1) Textbook2) http://www.nwrel.org/request/oct00/motivate.html3) http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content2/Student_Motivatation.html

No comments: